The Health and Financial Benefits of Starting a Fitness Routine by April Meyers
Updated: Jun 11
The motivation to start an exercise routine often stems from the health benefits it provides. But, did you know that living a healthier lifestyle provides financial advantages as well? If not, then read on as in this article we’ll explore the easy steps you can take to start your fitness routine and reap its advantages.
Start Meal Prepping
Frozen and ready-to-eat meals sold at convenience stores are often advertised as cheap and healthy. In reality, they are neither. Packaged foods are full of preservatives, and have high sodium or sugar levels. Additionally, you can end up paying anywhere between $6-$10 for one meal.
In comparison, let’s assume your weekly grocery shopping costs you $80, which includes fresh fruits, vegetables, a selection of meats, bread, grains, etc. By having three nutritious home-cooked meals a day, the total comes to 21 meals a week.
Cost per meal = $80/21 meals = $3.81
Hence, not only are paying considerably less for meals, but eating food that will keep your mind and body healthy. More advantages of meal prep include:
● You have complete control over portion sizes. Depending on your appetite you can pack required portions preventing you from over or under-eating.
● By using all-natural ingredients you’ll ensure your meals are free of preservatives and harmful chemicals.
● Individuals with food allergies will no longer have to contend with limited food choices during work or travel.
Create a Workout Routine
As reported by the CDC, on average adults require at least 2.5 hours of exercise per week, which translates to around 20 minutes a day. You don’t need to pay for expensive gym memberships to have a good exercise routine, various free apps provide you with excellent home-based workouts which can be done with or without equipment. But, if you’re serious about exercising, it’s best to buy the following basic equipment:
● Exercise mat
● Resistance bands
A good beginner workout schedule can include engaging in aerobic exercises and weight training on alternative days. The best aerobic exercises to consider are:
After each exercise session remember to stretch, as it helps muscles relax, improve blood flow and prevent the likelihood of cramps. Additionally, due to your meal prep, you can transition straight to eating a delicious post-workout meal.
Here are some added benefits you’ll enjoy by following a healthy lifestyle:
● Affordable Life Insurance Premiums: Life insurance is an important investment that one makes to ensure their family remains in strong physical standing post their demise. But, individuals are required to pay premiums for decades to maintain the policy. As reported by Policy Genius, one of the key factors for deciding the premium amount is a medical exam. Individuals in good health are often provided lower premiums as insurances view them as low risk. This can translate into saving thousands of dollars a year.
● Lower Medical Bills: An unhealthy lifestyle can become the prime cause of various serious illnesses such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and in rare cases, cancer. Each of these illnesses will require regular doctor visits, and medications, each of which has a cost. By eating healthy and staying physically fit you can reduce the chances of falling sick and minimize healthcare costs dramatically.
Being consistent with your fitness routine will help you develop knowledge regarding nutrition, exercise, and other ways of taking care of your mind and body. By sharing your experience and knowledge with others, you could provide them the motivation needed to start their own fitness journey. One of the best ways to achieve this is by starting a blog. Additionally, if you develop a strong following, you could develop it into a side hustle by partnering with fitness companies to write sponsored articles or run advertisements.
In the long run, you could expand the offerings to selling courses or private classes and make it a full-fledged business. If you already have an awesome name in mind, you could reserve it for future use. This will ensure other businesses can’t use your name and will typically be valid for 120 days.
If you don’t want to miss out on all these amazing benefits, choose to start your fitness routine today!